Friday, June 10, 2011

Babies everywhere!

Sorry I still haven't posted pics. I keep forgetting to bring my USB to the computer lab at the medical school. I can't believe I've almost been here a week. I'm going to be honest, it feels longer.

The hospital at times can be very draining. I have been working in the Pediatric Unit for the last week. There are more malnourished children than I can count. It is really frustrating to see so many malnourished children, I know it's Africa and unfortunately it is kind of known for it, but still is heartbreaking. Many of the problems associated with malnourished children stems from social issues. There are organizations here that provide mothers with food and formula for their babies, however not all of them take advantage of it.  So, in the city the issue is not about a lack of resources it is a lack of education in knowing those resources are available or an understanding of how much food a child needs.

Many of the children here have been infected with HIV/AIDS. There is a steady decline in exposure and with adequate treatment hopefully the trend with continue. The country has the resources to have no children born with HIV but many mothers do not know they are infected or refuse to have a HIV/AIDS test. I did see many babies with HIV who were on treatment and they were fairly healthy and very cute. It shows the resilience in children and the power of modern medicine.

I promise next time I post I will have pics. Also, I just booked next weekend to go to Cape Town! I’m so excited!!!!!!

1 comment: